BASIC CARE REQUIREMENTS FOR A PHALAENOPSIS ORCHID
If you are lucky enough to have a Phalaenopsis, you are about to enter the wonderful world of growing orchids!
TEMPERATURE AND LIGHT
- Keep your orchid plant warm and in bright indirect daylight.
- Phalaenopsis will flourish inside under normal lighting conditions, with indirect sunlight.
- Be sure not to allow too much sun exposure as leaves will burn easily.
- Best in a warm climate, with sufficient humidity.
- Water no more than once a week in summer months and less in winter.
- Water can be sprayed lightly onto flower heads to re-create a humid environment. Avoid over watering and ensure excess water is drained off.
- If the Phalaenopsis is ever re-potted, use orchid potting mix only and ensure roots are kept intact and protected but able to breathe.
- Best to be re-potted when not in flower although not essential.
TRIM THE STEM
- The bloom cycle of Phalaenopsis Orchids usually last 2 – 4 months.
- If you would like your orchid to bloom a second time within a year –Wait for the last flower to fall, and then cut the stem with a sharp knife just above the node where the first flower appeared.
- Continue caring for it and wait for a second spike to branch off the first and rebloom.